On the topic of
See DVD catalog for
prices & more details.
Jesus Christ -Josepth Smith
Lifting the Veil of
The Bible and the Book of Mormon
Called to be Free
DNA and the Book of Mormon
The Temple of the Godmakers
Has Mormonism Changed?
For more details
THE TESTIMONY OF
In the front of every Book of Mormon are the "testimonies" of three witnesses which is reproduced below. Following is further revelations by these same men and comments by leaders of the Mormon church. Documentation of these comments can be found in the publications listed at the end of this article.
Be It Known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless. the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.
Oliver Cowdrey, David Whitmer, Martin Harris
Oliver Cowdery was the Church's second Elder, often called the "Second President." The early day companion of Joseph Smith, he was scribe for the Book of Mormon, present at the "Restoration of the Priesthood," and as close to the real truth as any man.(l)
However, in 1838 in Kirtland, Oliver confronted Joseph Smith with the charge of adultery with Fanny Alger, and with Iying and teaching false doctrines. (2)
Joseph Smith denied this and charged Cowdery with being a liar. (3)
Church records now show Miss Alger was Smith's first "spiritual wife." Oliver was telling the truth!(4)
Cowdery was excommunicated for this and other "crimes."(5)
Later, as a Methodist, he denied the Book of Mormon.(6)
and publicly confessed his sorrow and shame for his connection with Mormonism.(7)
While the Mormon church claims he rejoined them in the fall of 1848,(8) they also accused him later the same year, with trying to 'raise up the Kingdom again' with the Apostate. William E. McLellin.(9)
Oliver Cowdery was publicly charged by Joseph Smith and leading Mormons with stealing, Iying, perjury, counterfeiting, adultery, and being the leader of a gang of "scoundrels of the deepest degree!"(10)
David Whitmer saw the plates 'by the eye of faith' handled by an angel.(l)
He later told of finding them Iying in a field and later still, told Orson Pratt they were on a table with all sorts of brass plates, gold plates, the Sword of Laban, the 'Director' and the Urim and Thumim.(2)
During the summer of 1837, while in Kirtland, he pledged his new loyalty to a Prophetess (as did Martin and Oliver) who used a black seer stone and danced herself into 'trances.'(3)
It was the start of the finish for him. It ended in 1847 in his declaration to Oliver that he (Whitmer) was to be the Prophet of the New Church of Christ and Oliver a counselor.(4)
In the meantime, he was excommunicated and roughly put out. His and Oliver's families were, in fact, driven into the streets and robbed by the Mormons while Whitmer and Cowdery were away trying to arrange a place to flee. (5)
Cursed by leaders such as Sidney Rigdon, Whitmer was denounced by the Prophet Joseph Smith as a "dumb beast to ride" and "an ass to bray out cursings instead of blessings."(6)
Martin Harris was first a Quaker, then a Universalist, next a Restorationist, then a Baptist, next a Presbyterian, and then a Mormon.(l)
After his excommunication in 1837, he changed his religion eight more times, going from the Shakers to one Mormon splinter group to the next, and back to the main group in 1842.(2)
Yet, in 1846, Harris was preaching among the Saints in England for the Apostate James J. Strang.(3)
Harris testified that his testimony for Shakerism was greater than it was for Mormonism. The Shaker's "Sacred Roll and Book" was also delivered by an angel.(4)
His later testimony that he saw the plates by "the eyes of faith and not with the natural eyes" should eliminate him automatically as a witness.(5)
In the Elder's Journal for August, 1838, Joseph Smith denounces him as "so far beneath contempt that to notice him would be too great a sacrifice for a gentleman to make. The Church exerted some restraint on him, but now he has given loose to all kinds of abominations, Iying, cheating, swindling, and all kinds of debauchery."(6)
1. Pearl of Great Price, JS 2:72-76
2. Private Letter to Brother, Warren Cowdery, by Oliver Cowdery, Jan. 21, 1838.
3. History of the Church, Vol. 3, pp. 16-18.Elder's Journal. Joseph Smith, July 1838.
4. Historical Record, 1886, Vol. 5, page 233.
5. History of the Church, Vol. 3, pp. 16-18.
6. Times and Seasons, Vol. 2, page 482. -- Improvement Era, January 1969, page 56. "Oliver Cowdery-The Man Outstanding" Joseph Greehalgh, 1965, page 28.
7. The True Origin of The Book of Mormon, Charles Shook. 1914, pp. 58-59.
8. Historical Record, 1886. Vol. 5, page 201.
9. The Mormon Frontier, Diary of Hosea Stout, Vol. 2, page 336.
10. Senate Document 1 89, Feb. 15, 1841, pp. 6-9. Comprehensive History of the Church, B.H. Roberts, Vol. 1, pp. 438, 439.
1. Mormonism Unveiled. E.D Howe, 1834, pp. 260-261.
2. Improvement Era, March 1969, page 63. Journal of Discourses, Vol. 7, page 164, Brigham Young.
3. Church Chronology, Andrew Jensen, 1899, page 31; Millennial Star, Vol. 8, Nov. 15, 1846, PP. 124-128.
4. Case Against Mormonism, Tanner. Vol. 2. PP- 50-58; Martin Harris--Witness & Benefactor, BYU 1955 Thesis, Wayne C. Gunnell, page 52. The Braden & Kelly Debate. page 173.
5. Gleanings by the Way, J.A. Clark, pp. 256-257.
1. Palmyra Reflector, March 19. 1831.
2. Millennial Star, Vol. XL, pp. 771-772.
3. Biographical Sketches, Lucy Smith, pp. 211-213.
4. Letter to Oliver Cowdery, by David Whitmer, Sept. 8, 1847, Printed in The 'Ensign of Liberty,' 5/1848 , page 93; also see 'Ensign of Liberty.' 8/1849, pp. 101-104.
5. John Whitmer's History of the Church. Modern Microfilm, SLC, page 22.
6. History of the Church. Vol. 3. page 228.
Inscribed on thin gold plates yet had engravings on both sides. Curiously difficult to either do or read. Gold weighs 1204.7 pounds per cubic foot. The plates were 7" x 8" 6", and had to have weighed over 200 pounds. Yet Joseph Smith carried them around under his arm, and at one time ran several miles with them.
They were inscribed in Egyptian a cursed language for the Jewish people.
Part of the record taken from the "Brass Plates of Laban" in 600 BC. Yet, this form of writing was not in use in that day.
After the Book of Mormon was written, Joseph and Oliver returned the plates into a cavern that "opened up" for them inside the Hill Cumorah. This cavern was filled with wagon loads of more plates.
There has never been another gold plate like these found anywhere in the Americas! or the whole world!
In all the archaeological discoveries in the Americas, not a single one of the 38 major cities in the Book of Mormon has been found.
In 385 AD close to a half million casualties fell with all manner of weapons of war, in the last Great Battle--on the tiny Hill Cumorah. Yet not even a single item of evidence has ever been found.
There have been over 4,000 changes to the Book of Mormon which was presented as the most perfect book on Earth by its Author/translator.
Eight of the eleven total witnesses to the Book of Mormon apostasized from the church.
TO THE MORMON
This information has been given to you in love. We can assure you that it is accurate and honest. The programs, and certainly the people, of the Mormon Church are good. However, you can have the greatest organization. and a sincere faith--but if that organization directs your faith to a "god" who is not the one and only true God of the Bible, but rather a false god who cannot save-then after your own death, that organization and that faith will amount to nothing.
Take up the challenge! Dare to question and become a genuine seeker of the truth. Were you given the information on the "meat" of Mormonism, which we have outlined here, during the missionary lessons before you joined the church? Were you asked to make an eternal decision, based upon incomplete and inaccurate information? WE URGE YOU to call out to the One True God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to reveal Himself to you--and to ask the One True Jesus to apply His sacrifice on the cross to your sins personally!
There is no other God and no other way! Write to us! We will give you all the information available.
Any person, right where he or she Is, can have a personal relationship with the living God through Jesus Christ. and the assurance of eternal life. through prayer to the real God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (the God of the Bible)
1) Admit that (on your own) you are separated from God by sin, unable to save yourself (Romans 3:23; Isaiah 64:6)
2) Be willing to turn from sin, to let Him change your Iife (Acts 26:20).
3) Believe that the real Jesus Christ died to pay the penalty of your personal sins and will take them away (Romans 5:8.9).
Accept this in faith as a gift from God (Ephesians 2:8.9).
4) Invite Jesus Christ Into your life to be your personal Lord and Savior. (Revelation 3:20; John 1:1 2: I John 5:11-13).
5) Read God's Word (the Bible) daily and allow Him to take over the management of your life. Let His Holy Spirit fill you and lead you daily. Seek out a Christian church of believers who stand on God's Word and it alone.